Moving Day for Equipe du Sud

Caribbean Sea from the South Haiti Coast

Today is moving day, so up at 5:30 AM to get ready to go.  I wanted to make sure that we could get out at first light, since Herbert drives quite a bit faster and more confidently during the daytime.  Estelle and I were ready to go at 5:55 AM.  Herbert emerged from the room about 6:05 and finally Frantz managed to roll out to the car about 6:15 AM.  The plan today is to go to Cavaillon and Les Cayes, collect the GPS kits, and then relocate them to Port Salut, near where we have been staying since Monday evening, and Les Anglais about 30 km, but 2 hrs drive to farther west.  After we setup at ANGL, our plan is to continue on to Tiburon to collect the kit at TIBU.

On the move near Les Cayes

We arrived at Cavaillon about 7:30 AM.  It had started to rain about 20 minutes earlier.  Go figure – on moving day, we have to have rain.  The weather has been great so far, relatively dry for the tropics and not too hot. By the time we had gotten the ladder off the car and carried it to the building, the rain was already coming down lightly.  Up the ladder and to the roof of the College de Notre Dame once more.  The GPS unit was working fine: the antenna was level and on the mark, so we shut it down quickly.  The rain started to come down hard now.  By the time we got down the ladder, we were all soaked.  I showed Estelle how to setup the receiver to work in the car, so she could download enroute to the next site at Les Cayes.  We had acquired 2.5 UTC days of observations at CAVA.  A little less than optimal, but still OK, I think, given the problems we had with the initial programing snafu. We paid the guard $1000G (~$25 US), and we were off to Les Cayes.

People shopping at the Cavaillon Market

Les Cayes market

The Port Salut site is on the roof of a local hospital.  There apparently was some minor cracking and damage to the building during the Jan. 12th earthquake, so there was a construction crew on the roof doing repairs.  Setup of PTSL went smoothly, and we left for Les Anglais by 9:30 AM.

Arrived Les Anglais about 11 AM.  The road is incredibly bad starting about 10 km east of Les Anglais.  They are repaving this entire section of road, but they haven’t quite made it to Les Anglais yet.  I am sure it will be better when the next GPS team comes to occupy this site, but right now, it’s a rough ride.  ANGL is on top of the local police station.  This precinct is in much better shape than the one in Tiburon.  They have a spiral staircase to the roof in the in the back of the building, so no need for the ladder.  Also, because there was no site description for this site from Eric, so we needed to do that too.  I let Estelle setup and level the spike mount.  After some initial problems, she got the the leveling done quickly, so we could start logging data.  We thanked the local police officer on duty at the time, and then found a place to get some cold Cokes, before setting out on the dusty, gravel road to Tiburon.

Les Anglais GPS site - view to the south

We arrived Tiburon at 12:30 PM. Estelle showed Frantz how to interact with and program the receivers from our rickety PC laptop; then we started to download the data. We kept the site logging during the download to get the maximum amount of data possible for today, as this GPS kit will idle overnight.

The Wild West End - The Police Station at Tiburon

We acquired 3.5 UTC days of GPS observations at TIBU, so success again. Back in the car for the 2.5 hr drive back to our hotel in Port Salut.  All in all, we had a great day.

Glen and Estelle


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: